Monday, February 9, 2015

The Secret to Using Pinterest


Pinterest has recently exploded into one of the most popular social media networks on the internet with 70 million users worldwide.

Okay, so I love Pinterest. Emma introduced me to it about a year or so ago, and I've been hooked ever since.

I've got around 45 different boards and a little over 2000 pins. I'm a very visual person, and a terrible neat freak (organization makes me feel warm and fuzzy), so Pinterest is a perfect way for me to sort out my thoughts into set spaces.

A lot of times, I forget that most people don't use Pinterest like I do. I don't know where I got the idea, but I started using Pinterest as a way to make writing that much easier for me. How is this possible? I'm about to show you.

Step 1: Create a "Novel Inspiration" Board

I split up my "novel inspiration" board into three sub-boards (because organization): Prompts, Plot Bunnies, and Pretty Pictures, Setting the Scene, and Charries.

My Prompts, Plotbunnies, and Pretty Pictures (PPP for short?) is exactly what it sounds like. If I come across an interesting picture like this one (--->) that sparks an idea, I pin it there. If I find a line of dialogue that I love but don't have a storyboard that fits it, I pin it there.

In my Setting the Scene board, I pin landscapes, buildings, cityscapes, or anything else that I could set future novels (or scenes of future novels) in. If you scroll through that board, you'll find everything from steampunk bars to old dilapidated churches.

Lastly, on my Charries board, I pin pictures of people who I think could eventually become characters in future projects. I like to try and find pins where the subjects seem like they have depth (if you look through my board, you'll see what I mean).

Step 2: Create a Storyboard

Next, create what I like to call a Storyboard. Storyboards are boards that are dedicated to a specific ideas. Go take another look at your Novel Inspiration board(s). Do any of those pins fit the story of the Storyboard that you just created?

If so, move them. If you hover over the pin you want to move, there will be a pencil icon in the top right-hand side. Click on that and it will take you into an editing menu where you can change the board that that pin is pinned to.

(BONUS) Tip 1: Brackets Are Your Friend

If you'd like to take your organization a step further, try this cool little trick I found.

If you put [Storyboard], or [Writing] before the name of your board, it will clump all your bracketed boards together like so.

As you can see, I've put [Storyboard] before all my storyboards and when I open the drop down menu for a pen, my writing boards are the first I see.

This is because when Pinterest shows you the boards you can pin to, it shows you them in alphabetical order. According to Pinterest's sorting system, brackets are alphabetically first. This isn't true of the mobile version, though I don't know why. If you use the [Storyboard] trick, bracket boards will end up at the bottom on the mobile version. Either way, all your boards will be easy to find.

Step 3: Get pinning!

At first it might be kind of hard finding writing pins. Searching terms like 'novel inspiration', 'character inspiration', or 'writing inspiration' will get you some good results. Alternatively, you can follow some of my writing boards such as [Writing] Charries, [Writing] Prompts, Plot Bunnies, and Pretty Pictures, or [Storyboard] Stardust.

I hoped this post has helped you get started, or continuing, on using Pinterest as writers. I want to know, how do you guys use Pinterest? Leave me a quick comment below.

Happy pinning!

6 comments:

  1. YES TOT EH BRACKET THING
    BRACKETS ARE GLORIOUS
    THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember if it was you who showed me that, or if I kind of figured it out by myself, but I friggen love brackets. <3

      Delete
  2. I love making storyboards on Pinterest. If I need motivation, I look at my books and it gives me a creative boost! ^ ^

    Stori Tori's Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I like to do that sometimes too. I especially like to try and find books that are kind of like mine. :)

      Delete
  3. To be perfectly honest, Pinterest is basically a shrine to my childish sense of humor, but I always like to see how other writers use Pinterest in case I want to be a Pinterest writer someday too. For now, though, I am just there for giggles. *giggle* Thanks for sharing your methodology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygosh. XD Sometimes I have the most childish sense of humor too. I have a board where I pin all my funny stuff. :) Sometimes it's nice to see a break from the "serious (sort-of-but-not-really) work stuff" and just laugh for a few minutes. Have you had any pins that you've laughed at so hard you started to cry? I start doing this weird wheeze-cry laugh when it gets really late. :)

      Delete