Monday, March 2, 2015

No One Mourns the Wicked

I remember it like it was yesterday, even though it was close to two months ago. It was December 21st
and disappointingly warm somewhere in Florida. It also happened to be my birthday. Most of the presents had been opened and I was coming out of it happier than I'd come in to it.

Then I was brought the 'big' present. In my family, we usually have our normal presents, like candy or socks, and then we have our 'big' present--the most expensive, and often most exciting, present.

For a 'big' present, it was kind of small. I opened it and was faced with a bookmark… But not any old bookmark. A Wicked bookmark. At first glance, it looked like a ticket to the show I'd been begging my parents to take me to (something which they'd already told me we couldn't afford). I remember looking at it and trying to keep the disappointment off my face. I was thinking 'well, I guess was thoughtful for them to make a me a bookmark… but seriously? This is kind of mean…' I was so focused on reigning in my emotions, I didn't even hear my until she touched my hand.

"Read it." She was saying, a silly smile on her face. So I took a second look at it. My brain wasn't connecting very well with my eyes. "It's real!" She said after a moment, and I just kind of looked at her.

I still didn't really believe it until Emma and I were standing outside Fox Theatre in Atlanta waiting for the doors to open.

It was cold. And I was in a dress. But it was the most fantastic thing I've experienced in a while, and I wish I could go again.

I love the music, but I already knew I liked that, and now that I know the context of the music, I love it even more. The costumes were great, and I've never wanted to be in a play more than at that moment. The singing and acting were phenomenal, and I had a blast. The second half of the play I spent curled up in my seat, tissues pressed against my nose. At the end, when all the cast came back out I jumped up and started screaming and clapping with everyone else.

It was wonderful. Basically, I couldn't be happier.

Thank you Emma and parents for taking me. I don't think I've ever had that much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment